Heathrow Airport is located about 20 miles west from the centre of London. We have come up with all the information you could need for travelling from Heathrow Airport towards the centre of London, and the other way around.
The world-famous London Heathrow Airport remains among the busiest in the world. It is located in Hillingdon, a borough of London, and is the largest airport in the whole from the United Kingdom, which comprises England, Northern Ireland, Wales and Scotland. Additionally, it sees more international passengers passing through its many gates than every other airline around the globe. In fact, we have an average of 67 million passengers each year. Although its high passenger and flight numbers were negotiated during 2010 because of the disruption caused by the volcanic ash of Eyjafjallajökull, London Heathrow remained among the busiest airports in the world.
General Airport Information
- Airport Code: LHR
- Distance from manchester: 15 miles (24km)
- Contact: For flight and travel information call: +44 (0)870 000 0123
However, roughly 100 different airlines which make use of this busy hub and fly to in excess of 170 destinations all over the globe. Included in this are:
The check-in area for Terminal 5 at London’s Heathrow Airport – Air Canada, Air China, Air France, Air India, Air Lines, Air Malta, Air Mauritius, Air New Zealand, Air Seychelles, Cathay Pacific, Emirates, Japan Airlines, Qantas, South African Airways, Swiss International, United Airlines, US Airway.
While there is constant expansion of this resource, there are five main arrival terminals along with a cargo terminal. Aircraft coming to Heathrow will enter its airspace via 1) Bovingdon, 2) Lambourne, 3) Biggin Hill or 4) Ockham.
By Private Transfer
For any personal and hassle-free introduction to London, it seems sensible to use of one of the many private transfer providers servicing Heathrow Airport. The services are often cheaper than the equivalent taxi fare and certainly much less trouble.
Private transfers permit you to avoid queuing or trying to find transport – your driver meets you having a personalised sign in the airport Arrivals Hall, assists you together with your luggage, escorts you to your automobile and transfers you right to your hotel.
We’ve hand-picked an array of what we think are the best transfer companies in the market.
By London Underground
Heathrow Airport has three underground stations Body shared by Terminals 1, 2 and three, one at Terminal 4 along with a third at Terminal 5. All provide regular stopping train services on London Underground’s Piccadilly Line into manchester.
- Frequency:Trains run every 4 to 9 minutes between your hours of 5.13am (5.57am Sundays) and 12.22am (11.55pm Sundays).
- Duration:The typical journey time is 45 to 65 minutes based on destination.
- Tickets: A single ticket from Heathrow Airport (Zone 6) into manchester (Zone 1) is £5.00.If you’re travelling after 9.30am a One-Day Travelcard between Zones 1 and 6 costs £8.00 and provides unlimited travel on London Underground trains, the DLR and buses.Ticket machines in the stations accept UK coins and many give change. Some accept UK notes (bills) and charge cards.
- Contact: For further information about London Underground services call London Transport on: 020 7222 1234.
The Heathrow Express may be the fastest train service running from Heathrow Airport into manchester.
- Frequency:It operates 7 days a week and runs straight into London Paddington train and Tube station.
Trains are non-stop.Trains from Heathrow Airport Terminal 5 to London Paddington start at 5.07am (5.03am Sundays) after which run every 15 minutes, using the last train leaving at 11.42pm (11.48pm Sundays).Trains from Heathrow Airport Terminals 1-3 to London Paddington start at 5.12am (5.08am Sundays) after which run every 15 minutes, using the last train leaving at 11.48pm (11.40pm Sundays).For Terminal 4, depart in the station for Terminals 1, 2 and three and take the free and frequent transfer to Terminal 4.Trains from London Paddington to Heathrow Airport start at 5.10am and run every Fifteen minutes to 11.25pm, when the last train leaves.
- Duration: Fifteen minutes for Terminals 1, 2 and three | 27 to 32 minutes for Terminal 4 | 21 minutes for Terminal 5.
- Top class: £26 (Single), £50 (Return)
- Express Class: £16.50 (Single), £32 (Return)
Tickets should be purchased before boarding. There’s a £3 surcharge for Express Class tickets if bought onboard.
Other Services: Heathrow Express provides a free transfer for customers travelling between Heathrow Central (T1, 2 & 3) and Terminal 4.
- Contact: For info on all these services call the nation’s Rail Enquiry service on: 08457 48 49 50.
A Black Cab taxi stands up to 5 people and can be acquired from outside the airport. There is no need to pre-book taxis, simply go to the taxi rank on each one of the terminal forecourts. However, to avoid the inevitable queues for taxis, you are able to book in advance through London Black Cabs. 48-hours notice is needed for airport transfers. Flights arrival times are monitored by reservation staff which means you do not need to worry about delays for your flight. You will be met away from customs area by your driver who’ll assist you in carrying your luggage towards the vehicle. London Black Cabs may also arrange your return journey during the time of booking.
- Duration:Journey time by private taxi or Black Cab into manchester is 50 – 75 minutes.
- Price:Average cost in the airport into central London ranges from £40 – £60.
Charge cards are accepted, although there is a 10% handling charge.
A ‘meeting fee’ of around £7 is often required for journeys in the airport, to cover parking and waiting times.
Contact: To reserve a London Black Cab or more information call: 07957 696673.
To contact the person taxi desks at Heathrow call:
- Terminal 1 Arrivals : + 44 (0)208 745 7487
- Terminal 2 Arrivals : + 44 (0)208 745 5408
- Terminal 3 Arrivals : + 44 (0)208 745 4655
- Terminal 4 Arrivals : + 44 (0)208 745 7302.
Heathrow Airport is 15 miles (23km) west based in london.
- Route: On leaving manchester international, follow signs for M4 motorway and manchester.
- Duration: Journey time to manchester is approximately 50 to 75 minutes.
- General: An £8 Congestion Charge pertains to all cars entering manchester from Monday to Friday 7am-6.30pm.
The London Heathrow Airport is especially well equipped with a range of restaurants, shops and facilities which include designer wear, luggage, pharmacies, hair and sweetness salons, cafés, coffee shops, formal diners, junk food, American Express, shoe stores as well as an abundance of duty-free outlets. There are many chaplains too, including Anglican, Catholic, Hindu, Jewish and Muslim, amongst several others, along with a multi-faith prayer room to accommodate the many religions and creeds that go through the busy airport.
Because London Heathrow Airport is really a major part of the infrastructure and transport system of England, it’s equipped with its own press corps. The photographers and tv crew feed all the major newspapers and television stations around the world. This keeps this transport epicentre within the sphere of public communications, increasing its recognition and acclaim much more so.